Friday, June 18, 2010

It all seems so familiar...

I have begun to write the first sections of the project now. As I was doing my research for these early sections, I knew that I had experienced this information before. So, since I have moved and most of my possessions are currently residing in boxes under my parent's house, I went on a search of a different kind.

Eventually, I found the notes from a history subject I did a while ago, which included a section on the beginnings of the university in Western Europe. I don't really need to look much further than this for this section, as these notes give a good outline of how the Islamic world gave us the works of Aristotle, which had been the basis of their scholarship after they translated them from the Greek into Arabic, and then how Western scholars translated them to the language of the time, Latin.

Following this, universities grew out of Cathedral schools in Europe and Great Britain, and the need for some students of these schools to look for better quality teaching and learning from outside, as this new scholarship made the rote learning of the Cathedral school on the seven liberal arts look outdated.

I will have to check to make sure that I cite this information properly, as the notes are my own, but the lecture from which they were written belongs to Macquarie University.

No comments:

Post a Comment